Sunday, May 24, 2015

Refinish and repurposing old furniture



Hello!

Wanted to share a project with you. This is my first major furniture project I've done. I'm use to doing smaller crafts, so I was really nervous to start this project.
Before Picture
I've had my childhood bedroom set since I was in middle school. It's in great condition. I tried to get rid of it but no luck. It's a great piece and even made in the USA. Let me tell you this was probably the best piece of furniture a parent could buy for their kid. I learned during this project that whatever was on this piece of furniture repelled almost every process to change it's appearance.
 
I decided to update this small dresser to use in our living room. The wood no longer goes with our furnishings so an update was needed. I have not started work on the big dresser and mirror. I'm thinking of making it into some sort of craft table. I'm currently trying to talk my Dad into helping with my vision and adding on a fold down table to it. We will see when I am up to doing that project. The original hardware on the small dresser was gold but I painted it silver and changed the top drawer to two glass knobs I already had at home. I was trying to decide if this would be enough change before doing anything drastic.

Here is what you will need to complete this project. Since I was having issues with product sticking to the furniture I turned to pinterest for help and ideas. Once my research was finished I headed over to my local Home Depot and spoke with the paint department. I wish I would have gotten the workers names. They were extremely helpful and my research was spot on.
My furniture would not sand properly, so I purchased a liquid sander product. All you do with this product is saturate a rag and rub in a circular motion onto the entire piece of furniture. Dries within 10-15 minutes.
 
Product List:  Klean Strip Sander Deglosser, Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer, Behr Paint in the color Linen & Behr sample in the color Clear Pond.

For all of my processes I wore latex gloves. I also used an old birthday party plastic table cloth as the drop cloth. I'm a neat painter in general. I like as little mess as possible. I also painted the project right in my living room.

The next process was to use a primer. I purchased the 1-2-3 primer. Painted on one coat and let it dry for the specified time. I also used a house fan to speed things up.

Now you are ready for paint. I chose the Behr brand paint that also includes primer. Painted two coats all over. Then I was ready for the accent color. I only had to purchase a sample to paint the top drawer.

I applied all steps using a sponge applicator and sponge roller. The finished result is a smooth appearance.

I am highly sensitive to smell and these products had virtually no smell. I'm very pleased with this finding. Clean up was easy as well.

Below is the finished product. Product cost $32 and 9 hours for project time. This includes all drying time. I loved the finished result! With patience you can do this too! :)

After Pictures


 





No comments:

Post a Comment